We think it's about time the Dahlia got the attention it deserved it's an amazing flower that is simply stunning in late summer to autumn. Why not take a fresh look at this flower that would adorn your home beautiful - how can we be sure.... there are so many varieties, shapes and colours that we're confident that they'll be one just perfect that you'll love.
Origin of the dahlia
The dahlia is a tuberous plant originating from Mexico. When we ‘discovered’ America in around 1800, we brought the flower to Europe. Here the bundle of petals was named after the Swedish botanist Andreas Dahl, one of Linnaeus’ pupils. The dahlia has been produced by professional growers since 1813.
The dahlia’s colours and shapes
The dahlia’s most eye-catching feature is its petals: sometimes evenly coloured, but often noticeably bright with spots or lines. Some flowers have a single row of petals, others have dozens - this fabulous flower has an incredible number of colour and shape variations! For example, the petals can be round, elongated or rolled. Dahlias can reach a height of 1.5 metres and a flower diameter of more than 20 cm. In other words, they are definitely eye-catching!
• Select a clean vase and fill it with tap water at room temperature.
• Add cut flower food to the water for a longer vase life.
• Cut or trim the stems diagonally by 3 to 5 cm with a sharp and clean knife or secateurs.
• Make sure there are no leaves hanging in the water.
• Do not place dahlias in a draught, in full sun or near central heating.
• Regularly top the vase up with tap water, because dahlias are thirsty.
• Don’t place dahlias near a fruit bowl. Fruit emits ethylene gas which will cause the flowers to age more rapidly.
How to create something special with dahlias
As shown in the image; Viburnum, Leucospermum nutans and Senecio cineraria combine perfectly with the Dahlia’s radiant crowns. The fabulous bright colours stand out even better amongst the warm green tones. It creates a Mexican fiesta in a vase that we thought you might love. But this is just one of countless designs you can create with Dahlia's they're a fabuous versitle flower that is truely perfect for so many styles
Have you ever said could I have a ‘yours forever’ bouquet, please? When you buy dahlias, you are buying more than just fantastic flowers. The flower symbolises abundance, strength and the message ‘yours forever’. With the choice of so many colours and shapes, you can make the message even more personal!
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form